четверг, 23 июня 2016 г.

Selvans Interview (In English)


1.Hails to Selvans! For the first if I’m right, Selvans (also I know about Silvans, the spirits of nature) is a god of nature, and when you are into band performing you mentally turn yourselves into such spirits like him? Your image also telling about that.

Good interpretation, man! Yes, our music and aesthetics form a whole together with nature.
2.As far as I know, band Selvans appeared when your previous band Draugr split-up. And as I see, in your hometown Abruzzo there are a lot of bands of different styles ad direction. Tell please about Abruzzo scene and Italian scene in general.

Yeah! Every inhabitant has his metal project here, this is epidemic! Apart from jokes, we have great bands here in Italy. Right know I'm thinking about acts like Caronte, Shores of Null, Fides Inversa..

3.Tell please about history of Draugr and time when it was turning into two parts, and one of it became Selvans.

I have played in Draugr for seven years, and the dynamics were really complicated: it's not easy to create a compromise within six minds for everything (line-up changes, families, jobs...) so things went slowly but we managed to do two albums and several live shows, mostly in Italy, until 2013. At that time there were two main composers in Draugr, me and another guy. We had divergent artistic opinions and incompatible attitudes so we decide to split-up: three ex Draugr members followed me and together we began to work on my music for the first Selvans release, the EP 'Clangores Plenilunio'.



4.Tell about Italian heathen culture, because, I don’t know much about it, despite the fact, that it has numerous harmonious borrowing from Greek paganism. Am I right?

Yes, our pagan heritage is deeply influenced by the greek Pantheon. Before being coverted to christianity, the roman empire adored many gods, some of them came from distant cultures; I'm very interested in that kind of italic paganism. Most of those cults lives inside some catholic holidays and traditions.

5.Tell please about plots of some your songs. I see a lot of names and motives from Italian (Roman) mythology here and that’s intrigues me. So much images and actions I see.

The themes of our songs came from different eras of the italian history. Some are very ancient, for example myths like 'Versipellis' or 'Hirpi Sorani' or the cult of Faunus Lupercus (from the song 'Lupercale'), others are referred to the 'modern' italian folklore like the tale of 'Scurtchìn'.
6.And as I see, some lyrics are written from the side of Gaelic and Celtic tribes invaded by Romans, maybe also Germans, Etruscans, Dacians. I think in your lyrics you try to look from the both sides of people inhabited your homeland ages ago?

I think you are referring to the final suite of our album 'N.A.F.H.': in that song (and in all the other ones) the point of view of the narrator is neutral, it doesn't take the side of anyone. It describes the events and the feelings, for example in 'N.A.F.H.' there are terror, atonishment and desperation towards the upcoming death: I think that both mine and your ancestors felt something similar in the past.

7.Your thoughts about Rome in World History. The greatest military exploits on the one hand, and corruption and depravity on the other. For ones the valiant warriors, the cruel invaders for the others. Tell please about some historical or fiction movies that reveal the history of your fatherland from different sides. First movie that coming in mind to me about Rome is Caligula, but I think it’s not a good example.

It's hard for me to answer this question. I have never seen a believable film about the ancient Rome. Right now I'm thinking about the australian tv shows 'Rome' and 'Spartacus': they have great costumes and scenographies but unfortunately the 'Hollywood feeling' prevails. 



8.Let’s turn to the questions concerning your music. Describe the process of composing and arranging. As I see, one person in your band is responsible for riffs and other for the folk instruments. At the same time, your music is difficult and multilayered. Can you describe the work of your creative tandem?

I'm the producer of everything on each album: riffs, electric, ambient and acoustic parts. Sethlans takes part with some of his riffs and he is essential to arrange and better the guitar sound in the mix; he's a really professional, careful and precise musician and also the cohesion of our live line-up mostly depends on him.

9.When I think about origins and inspirations for musical side of Selvans, first that come in mind, that’s Emperor “Welkin” era with folk influence of Italian heritage. Sometimes something come in mind like Negura Bunget. Can you describe your tastes in this point?
Thank you for comparing Selvans to Emperor, but they are unreachable icons. I often hear people making similarities with Negura Bunget and I think it's because of the wind instruments. Our music tastes are various: we're of course influenced by the norwegian black metal scene but there is a lot more, for example opera music, classical music, italian popular music.
I never sit on the piano thinking that I have to write 'italic music', it just happens and people perceives it. This makes me proud of my music, and if it would be something different (forced and unnatural) I could not watch myself in the mirror every morning. 



10.You noted in some interviews, that you started to prepare your next album. Can you describe the direction of your future path in this view?

Yes, I continuously write new music. At the moment we are working on a split album with Downfall of Nur. This will be a particular split because I wrote it together with DoN's mastermind Antonio so the bands works are connected.

11.You recorded your version of Nokturnal Mortum song “Goat Horns” for their official tribute. Please tell about your interpretation of its lyrics and music and also your acquaintance with Ukrainian and Slavonic Scene in general. I also know, that you in good relations with another Ukranian great band – Kroda. Can we hope to see Selvans appearing in Eastern Europe, closer to Slavonic lands

Nature and paganism are described in the way that I prefer by bands like Drudkh, Nokrturnal Mortum, Khors and Kroda. If you are a fan of these archaic themes in music it's impossible to ignore this scene. For what concerns our version of “Goat Horns”, there weren't any lyrics in Ukrainian so I wrote an original text in my language, inspired by the cult of Dis Pater from ancient Rome, and the band liked it. 

I hope to bring my music in Eastern Europe one day, I think that the mood of our hymns, althoug different from a cultural point of view, fits perfectly with the eastern people's idea of ancient cults and sensations converted in music.

12.A lot of bands now from “only studio format” coming on a stage and Selvans isn’t exception. You performed live in your previous bands, but I think Selvans acts in different manner. Describe your feelings from gigs, maybe it’s a some kind of ecstatic pagan festivals (celebrations) for you?

I agree. Selvans performances are totally different compared to Draugr's ones... Take it this way: we're totally involved in our music and attitude; we don't prepare our shows for the audience.  When I'm on stage I just follow my sensations and pulses, I live it and everyone perceives that while whatching a Selvans concert.



13.Tell about your future plans and how new work will sound?

In the upcoming split with Downfall of Nur, the sound and the atmospheres of both the bands will be reunited in one big flow. Our new songs on the split will present each aspect of our sound in the previous works, but even more powerful and majestic.
During 2017 we will work on our second full-length and there we will introduce some stylistic changes, but now it is too soon to talk about that.

14.Some final words for the House Of The Whipcord Zine!

Thank you for the interesting talk. All the best for the future of House Of The Whipcord! 

Комментарии: 0:

Отправить комментарий

Подпишитесь на каналы Комментарии к сообщению [Atom]

<< Главная страница